Sunday, January 11, 2009

Since the first time I watched this movie, Mr. Stratton, to me, was a personal hero. There are many reasons for that, and maybe some of them came from a romanticized version of him, but, let me go into one or two here.

First, he overcame all odds, not just once, not just twice, but, several times. To start in the movie, he was in backwoods Texas, far removed from civilization and the media. However, not only did he get in his mind "he could do it," but, he cross-country hitchhiked just for a try-out. In this day and age, that simply is not done. That kind of determination and zeal is not too common today. However, he knew what he wanted, and he accomplished it.

Secondly, and one of the main reasons, is that even though he temporarily lost hope after losing his leg, he did not forever sink into an unbreakable bondage. After a while, he "pulled himself up by his bootstraps" and not only survived, but, thrived. Just the thought that he'd just run the family farm again was great, but, he went back to his passion, and did a great job and work there.

For many of my readers, they may not be familiar with an expression, but, that expression is perfectly acted out in this story. The generation of people in the Depression, and more specifically, the World War II era, was known as "The Greatest American Generation." It has been postulated, talked about, written about, and focused on for so long that that generation overcame more odds, accomplished more, and survived more, than any other generation in recent memory.

I think the strength, resolve, hard work, and integrity demonstrated by Mr. Stratton in this story is a fine, outstanding example why the WWII generation needs to be placed up a pedestal. We have truly been blessed to have come from that lineage.

In my next blog, I will tell about the REAL Mr. Stratton, and how I finally got the closest to my childhood hero I ever was, about 3 years ago.

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment